El Cortez opening in 1941

On November 7th 1941 the El Cortez Hotel and Casino opened it doors. It promoted itself as “The new Uptown Hotel in the heart of Downtown Las Vegas,” and the city’s largest and most fashionable resort, playing a vital role in the economic development of Fremont Street. Originally constructed for $325,000, the Spanish Ranch style hotel began with 87 rooms and was expanded in 1946 to include a nightclub, a swimming pool, and a 4 story wing. Keeping up with the ever evolving Las Vegas skyline, its neon arrow marquee and large roof sign were installed in 1952, and a new guest tower was built in 1980.
Today the El Cortez building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in order to preserve and protect it for future generations.